The torrential rainfall damaged approximately 70% of our school and church buildings.
What is the extent of the damage?
Waterlines around the school measured between 20.5” and 23.5”. Based on photos taken directly after the flood, some buildings appeared to have even more water in them. Our Preschool, Upper School, library, and theatre buildings were spared, but sadly we lost the use of our church, Lower School hallway, Middle School hallway, gym, weight and locker rooms, kindergarten hallway, and administrative offices. As a result our Upper School students must move to an alternate location until temporary school buildings are in place.
What was the impact of Harvey on the school and church community?
At least 65 of our church and school families are victims of this storm. Daily we learn of new STE families who were flooded by Harvey.
What are we doing for these families?
Members of our community are reaching out to these families to provide assistance.
As soon as it was evident that our campus was flooded, the church and school’s leadership established a funding campaign specifically to Restore, Restart, and Rebuild Saint Thomas’ Episcopal School. Now we are reaching out to families, alumni, parishioners, the Episcopal Diocese of Texas, the Episcopal Church, corporate donors, and foundations to assist us in the recovery efforts. We have already raised approximately $890,000 and have a pledge of $250,000 for a total of $1,140,000 since August 28.
How can I help and what are the next steps for the school?
• Give! Please give to our Flood Relief Fund. These funds will be used specifically for bringing the school and community back to its prior state. Any funds remaining in this account after the school is restored either to its prior state or to the mandates of FEMA will be used for need-based financial assistance for our students displaced by Harvey.
• Spread the Word: You can help us get the word out with your family and friends and through social media by using the hashtag #BeSTE.
• Local Organizations: If you live outside of Houston, please reach out to your local organizations and churches to share our story and raise funds for our relief effort.
How will the funds be used?
• Remediation – we have already contracted a remediation company that is working feverishly to dry out the affected buildings;
• Rental and delivery of temporary buildings to house students;
• Acquisition of new curriculum, books, and computers for our Lower and Middle Schools;
• New playground equipment;
• Gym and athletic equipment; and
• Furniture (classroom desks and office furniture).
How can I give?
• Online: At RESTORE•RESTART•REBUILD.
• By check: Please make your check payable to Saint Thomas’ Episcopal School and note “Harvey Flood Relief” in the memo. Mail your contribution to 4900 Jackwood Street, Houston, TX, 77096.
• Appreciated stock: Please call our Director of Advancement, Vernon King, at 601-622-1592 or email him at email@example.com, and he will provide you with instructions for transferring stocks.
• Matching Gifts: Please check with your employer and see if your company will match your gift. If so, there is potential to double and in some cases even triple your gift. Some companies have policies that prevent you from making a gift to a religious organization. If that is the case we can accept our gift through the school. Vernon King can assist you with this as well.
• International Donations: If you live outside of the United States and want to wire funds, or if you encounter difficulty with sending funds online, email Vernon King at firstname.lastname@example.org and he will assist you with your donation.